Depression is one of the most dangerous mental disorders that carry a sixfold increased risk of death. In fact, four times the death risk usually comes from severe mental depression. This is basically a condition that often leaves people in a negative state of mind where they feel worried, sad, worst, and sometimes suicidal.
Sometimes these depression symptoms are also the temporary reaction to some big loss of any trauma. However, when its side effects last longer than 17 days, then it should be treatable immediately as it indicates a very genuine and solid mental disorder.
Let’s dive into further details and learn what are its symptoms, causes, and negative effects on human life.
Symptoms of depression:
Depression is more than a simple state of sadness or negativity. When you experience severe forms of depression, it often affects your body and mood badly. Few symptoms come and go, but some are the most permanent symptoms that are observed in both men and women.
Men usually experience these symptoms in depression.
- Aggressiveness, sad, hopelessness, empty
- Drink excessively
- Lack of interest in everyday activities
- Get hyper over minor things
- No interest in sexual activities
- Inability to pay attention, concentrate and have decreased level of productivity.
- Delayed response while communicating with someone
- Fatigue, headache, and stomach pain
Most females experience these symptoms in depression:
- Take prescribed medications
- Use anti-depressants
- Low confidence and self-esteem
- Least interest in sexual activities
What are the causes of depression?
Well, there are lots of causes of depression.
Its causes usually vary from biological to circumstantial. According to experts, some of the causes are:
- Family predisposition: you have a major risk of depression if anyone in your family has been experiencing this situation.
- Trauma in early ages: as experts say, there are some events that happen in our childhood that make our body react to certain situations.
- Medical conditions: some troublesome conditions may cause serious depression such as illness, insomnia, chronic diseases, or ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder) are the problems that put your body at higher risk.
Effects of depression on human life:
As stated before, depression usually affects all the aspects and facets of your life badly, it even includes the way you eat, talk, sleep or sit.
When you feel severe depression, it often damages your mental and body health, disturbs concentration levels, and may harm your relationships. Depression does never occur in a vacuum. It badly affects your friends, family, and other people associated with you.
Besides that, depression also impacts your behavior and performance at work, it harms your concentration, and as a result, your productivity level hurts.
According to experts, it’s important to treat depression as soon as you can, because when you leave it untreated, it may lead to multiple mental complications that disturb your personal and professional life.
Many people think that psychiatrists couldn’t make a big difference, in fact, they further ruin your mental health. But the truth is, a good psychiatrist is all you need to fight with the situation.
If you or someone around you is experiencing several depressions, it’s your duty to help them get recover from the situation. If you can’t treat them personally, get a qualified help from mental health professionals as they better know how to treat the situation efficiently.